Veteran Student Information


Procedure and Criteria

For complete and specific admission requirements, see the catalog sections titled “Transfer Student Admission” and “Professional Studies Admission” included in the Admissions pages in this catalog.

Credit for Military Experience

Students may receive, subject to departmental approval/policies, credit for Army courses and military occupational specialties (MOS); Navy general rates, ratings, warrant officer and limited duty officer specialties; Air Force courses; Coast Guard courses; Marine Corps courses; and Department of Defense courses, if they have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE). DBU will accept credit recommendations made by ACE as specified in The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.


The Texas Veterans Commission (TVC) approves Dallas Baptist University for students who wish to receive educational benefits under various U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs. All students who may be eligible should contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office at least one month prior to initial registration to ensure completion of paperwork in a timely manner.


VA benefit eligibility of students is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service which can be contacted at 1-888-442-4551 or Eligibility information and benefit application forms can be found and submitted online at the official website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service.

Transcripts and Military Transcripts

Transcripts of education and training from all schools previously attended must be submitted prior to the completion of the second semester in residence. Additionally, all veteran students receiving VA Education Benefits need to request military transcripts. Veterans who served in the Army, Coast Guard, Navy or Marine Corps may obtain military transcripts from Joint Services Transcript (JST) website: Veterans who served in the Air Force may obtain military transcripts through the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF website: Per VA directions, military transcripts must be in the student’s file even if there is no transfer of credit.


The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requires that each student receiving benefits must follow an approved degree plan. A VA student may not receive benefits for courses previously completed, for courses that are in excess of degree requirements, or for courses that do not apply toward the student's approved degree. A degree plan must be on file as soon as possible. The VA Certifying Official submits enrollment certifications/adjustments/amendments/terminations for all students receiving VA benefits. Per VA guidelines, initial enrollment certifications (VA Form 22-1999) to report term dates and credit hours are required to be submitted within 30 days of the beginning of the term; however, efforts are made to pre-certify a student’s enrollment before the beginning of a term if possible. The VA Certifying Official is also required to report changes in enrollment and/or tuition and fees (VA Form 22-1999b) within 30 days of any change. For Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) benefits, a second certification amendment (VA Form 22-1999b) to report tuition and fees is submitted after the Add-Drop period of the standard semester upon finalization of awards and review by the Financial Aid department. Billing invoices of tuition and fees for Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment – VR&E) benefits are managed separately by the Cashier’s office and the Bookstore after the VA Certifying Official submits enrollment certification.

VA Student Responsibility

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s office to request certification and provide relevant documentation of benefits. Once a VA student has authorized the certification of an initial term of enrollment, the VA Certifying Official will continue to submit certifications for subsequent terms until the VA Certifying Official receives a request from the student not to certify a term/course or receives VA notification of exhausted benefits. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure VA has valid contact information for the student to receive and review important notifications directly from VA to the student, of which the VA Certifying Official may not be aware. The VA Certifying Official is available to assist the student as a liaison for VA matters; however, it is the student’s responsibility to bring any concerns to the VA Certifying Official regarding current VA benefits status or how VA benefits may be affected prior to each term that he/she registers, adds, drops, or withdraws from a course. In addition to the VA Certifying Official, students have an assigned academic advisor for consultation regarding their degree plans. Furthermore, both the Financial Aid and Cashier departments have designated military point-of-contact representatives available for assisting VA students with their other financial aid awards and student accounts.

VA Academic Progress Policy Guidelines

Unsatisfactory Progress: Please refer to the catalog section titled, “Academic Probation, Suspension, and Withdrawal” for information regarding regulations of academic standards. All students placed on “academic probation” are reported to the VA and are advised of free counseling and tutoring services available to them at DBU as well as additional free VA Educational-Vocational Counseling services (also called Chapter 36 counseling). All students placed on “academic suspension” or “administrative withdrawal” are reported to the VA as “termination for unsatisfactory progress” which the law requires that VA educational assistance benefits be discontinued. If a student is determined by the Registrar and the Admissions Committee to be eligible to reenroll, VA benefits may be resumed if the student reenrolls in the same educational institution and in the same program.

Graduation/Program Completion: In compliance with Public Law 114-315 Section 404, the VA Certifying Official reports graduation and program completion dates for all students who are in receipt of VA benefits.

VA Academic Load for Master's Programs

For information on determining academic load for veteran's certification purposes, see the Academic Load for Master's Program.


Student Charges

A VA Student is a student who receives educational assistance for all, or part of the student’s charges paid directly from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Any VA student who receives less than a 100% educational assistance benefit from VA must either immediately pay the remaining portion of the student’s charges or complete a Payment Plan for the remaining portion of the student’s charges. All balances must be paid as agreed or the actions under the section titled “Actions for Unpaid Accounts” may result. In compliance with Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e), neither the Actions for Unpaid Accounts” nor any other penalty/late fee will be imposed on any student covered under chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11) VA benefits due to delayed disbursement of funding from VA.

Fee Waivers for Veterans

The “Registration Fee” and “Graduation Application Fee” (only for early and regular graduation applications) are waived for all veteran and active duty military students as well as for students receiving VA benefits. For students receiving any percentage level of Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) VA benefits, the “PRST (CAED) 3301 Guidebook Fee” is waived. For students receiving only the 100% level of Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) VA benefits, the “Deferred Payment Plan Fee” and “Late Payment Fee” are waived if VA benefits cover all tuition and fees. Note that charges not covered by VA benefits (e.g., housing, meal plans, etc.) may still require payment plan arrangements with the Cashier department.


Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship (CFHS)

On March 23, 2018, the President signed Public Law 115-141, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, which included an amendment to Section 473(b) of the Higher Education Act, authorizing the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship. Under this scholarship, beginning with the 2018-2019 award year, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made. To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC (up to 5486 for the 2018-2019 award year) and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death. In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student. Please visit Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act for more information.

Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

The Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship is a provision of the Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act (Forever GI Bill®) which gives extra benefits to VA students training in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math. It provides up to nine months of additional Post-9/11 GI Bill® entitlement (or a maximum of $30,000) to qualifying Veterans and Fry Scholars seeking a STEM degree or who have earned a STEM degree and are seeking a teaching certification. Eligibility is determined by VA. For additional information, including how to apply, visit the Rogers STEM Scholarship website at

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

The Department of Defense (DOD) Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance to service members for voluntary off-duty education programs. TA may be available for courses that are offered in the classroom or through distance learning that are part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. Dallas Baptist University is a signatory to the current Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU) and is a GoArmyEd participant. To obtain further information, contact the DoD Voluntary Education Program Services of your specific military branch of service. Students should coordinate Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits with the designated military point-of-contact representatives in both the Financial Aid and Cashier departments. Tuition Assistance (TA) and some chapters of VA benefits may not be utilized simultaneously during the same term. See catalog section titled “Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits” under “Veteran Student Admission” for further information about eligibility and processing of VA benefits.

National Guard Scholarships

To receive one of these scholarships, you must be involved in the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) with a National Guard unit while in school and have a letter of acceptance from a local Guard unit stating that they will accept you in an SMP status. Following graduation, cadets begin a new Military Service Obligation (MSO) contract and serve eight years in the Guard, which includes training. Please visit for information about the Dedicated Army National Guard (DEDNG) scholarship, the Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRD) Scholarship, and the Minuteman (MM) Scholarship.

ROTC Scholarships

See catalog sections title “army ROTC” and “Air Force ROTS” under the “Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)” catalog section for further information about ROTC admission.

Army ROTC Scholarships

Please visit for information about high school students, current college students, and enlisted soldier scholarships. Please contact an ROTC Army recruiter or DBU’s ROTC coordinator for additional information.

Air Force ROTC Scholarships

Please visit for information about high school students, current college students, and enlisted airman scholarships. Please contact an ROTC Air Force recruiter or DBU’s ROTC coordinator for additional information.

Veterans Opportunity Scholarship (VOS)

For eligible recipients of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, DBU offers this scholarship to reduce the cost of tuition. Please contact the Financial Aid office for more information.

Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)

For eligible recipients of the Post-9/11 GI Bill® 100% rate of benefits coverage, DBU participates in the VA Yellow Ribbon matching program to help cover tuition costs that may exceed the annual VA funding cap. Please contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s office and the Financial Aid office for more information.